Louisiana Commercial Fishermen
Commercial fishing is a crucial part of the heritage, culture and commerce along Louisiana’s coast. Our state is home to the most productive seafood industry in the lower 48—about 1 billion pounds of seafood, on average, is landed in Louisiana each year for commercial sale, with an estimated dockside value of $300 million. Louisiana seafood fuels our economy, and feeds a global population.
Commercial fishing is both a science and an art. The ‘art’ of commercial fishing can only be learned through doing—reading the tides, locating good spots for catch, experimenting to find the gear and bait that works for you. But this is only one part of the commercial fisherman’s business. Our goal, through Louisiana Fisheries Forward, is to help fishermen understand the ‘science’ of fishing—the business trends, new technologies and equipment, and regulatory rules and policies that lead to financial success AND resource preservation.
The curriculum included here covers a wide variety of topics to help commercial fishermen understand licensing and permitting requirements, trip tickets and federal reporting, receiving, handling and storing catch, and responsible and safe fishing.
Be sure to check out the video, download our Fast Facts, and visit the resource links below for the full picture of how to be a successful commercial fisherman; and check back often for updates to this page.
Fisheries management in Louisiana is firmly rooted in science. Biologists with LDWF, Sea Grant and NOAA monitor environmental conditions, species populations, and other biological data to determine seasons, catch limits, gear requirements, handling practices and more. We are determined to work together with fishermen to maintain healthy fish populations and habitat for the benefit of all.
GET INVOLVED! Your input is needed to successfully manage each of our fisheries. Join a species task force, or attend their open meetings; sign up for alerts from Wildlife and Fisheries, Sea Grant and other agencies; and attend LFF workshops and dock days for the best information on quality handling, safety, new equipment, and more.
- LDWF Commercial Rules & Regulations
- Renew Commercial Fishing License
- LDWF Trip Tickets
- Louisiana Sea Grant College Program at LSU
- Louisiana Wild Certified Seafood Program
- Louisiana Seafood Promotion & Marketing Board
- National Marine Fisheries Service
- NMFS – Southeast Regional Office
- Gulf States Marine Fisheries Commission
- GoMRI/Gulf Sea Grant Oil Spill Science Outreach
- Coast Guard Maritime Commons – Blog for Commercial Fishery
- LDWF Rules of the Road for Vessels
- Louisiana Crab Task Force
- Louisiana Oyster Task Force
- Louisiana Shrimp Task Force
- Louisiana Finfish Task Force