NOAA Fisheries is holding a workshop in Kenner for the safe handling, release and identification of protected species—a requirement for those with certain commercial shark or swordfish limited access permits.
- Are you a commercial vessel owner or operator?
- Do you use longline or gillnet gear?
- Do you hold one or more of the following permits?
- Shark directed limited access permit
- Shark incidental limited access permit
- Swordfish directed limited access permit
- Swordfish incidental limited access permit
If you answered “yes” to 1, 2, and 3, then you are required attend this workshop and obtain a workshop certificate before you can operate under any of these commercial shark or swordfish limited access permits. All workshop certificates must be renewed every three years, prior to renewing your permit. A copy of both a valid vessel owner and operator certificate must be possessed on board the vessel.
If you answered “no” but would still like to attend a workshop, please contact Angler Conservation Education at (386) 682-0158 to check for availability.
- Submit a copy of the workshop certificate with your shark or swordfish permit renewal application each year.
- Keep a copy of the workshop certificates on board your vessel as proof of certification.
901 Airline Dr.
Kenner, LA 70062
9 am – 5 pm