LSU AgCenter and Louisiana Sea Grant, as part of Louisiana Fisheries Forward (LFF), will host a Market Ready workshop for fishermen, dock owners and processors that presents key business techniques to improve the quality of harvest and to make their seafood ready for market or retail. The event is scheduled for July 24, 9:30 am – 1 pm, in Houma at the Terrebonne Parish Library, 151 Library Dr.
“Harvesting seafood is a business; to expand and grow often requires a new way of doing things,” said Thomas Hymel, LSU AgCenter/Sea Grant extension agent and director of Louisiana Direct Seafood. “There are several ways fishermen can improve the value of their catch—from direct sales to new handling, freezing and packaging techniques. Our goal is to help budding seafood entrepreneurs take their business to the next level while improving quality.”
Workshop topics include:
- Quality seafood & direct marketing
- Farmers market business planning
- Finding customers online: getting started
- Basics of licensing & permitting: wholesale, retail, fresh products & trip tickets
- Business insurance needs
- Taxes, record keeping & cash flow
- Packaging & shipping for quality & safety
Morning seminars will be followed with a Buyers Panel during lunch, then a LFF Quality Seafood Trailer demonstration.